Monday, December 5, 2011

Bombay House Chicken Coconut Kurma

 So this is my version of my favorite meal at the Bombay House. I must admit I haven't tried too many because once I find something I like it is hard to try new things!! Well I have tried SEVERAL chicken coconut kurma recipes and they have all come short in comparison to the chicken coconut kurma at the Bombay House. AND THEN, I finally found the recipe with a few modification of my own to match the ingredients listed on their menu!

Chicken Coconut Kurma
Ingredients:
Chicken Spice Marinade:
3 chicken breasts, cut into strips or bite size pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
Mix together and marinade for at least an hour.
Sauce:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped onions
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cayenne*
2 ripe medium tomatoes, lightly blended (or 1 can diced tomatoes)
1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
3/4 cup water + 2 tablespoon cornstarch**
1 teaspoon salt
1 can coconut milk
1 teaspoon garam marsala
1/4 cup golden raisins (optional)
1/4 cup cashews, chopped (optional)
garnish with cilantro (optional)

Directions:
Spray large fry pan with non stick spray or a little bit of oil and brown marinated chicken over medium heat, but do not cook all the way through.
In a large pan add oil, garlic, onions, and ginger and cook over medium heat until onions are translucent. Then add the remaining spices (except salt and marsala) and cook for another minute. After that, add the tomatoes and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the yogurt and blend in with a wire whisk. Then add the browned chicken, water cornstarch slurry and salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Stir in the coconut milk, garam masala, and golden raisins then simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the sauce becomes fairly thick. Serve over brown jasmine rice and top with cashews and cilantro if using. 

*This is a medium heat level, if you want it milder reduce the cayenne pepper by 1/4 teaspoon or 1/8 teaspoon. 
**The recipe that I adapted it from never thickened like it claimed that it would,  so I added some cornstarch. I might try adding less water next time.

 Did you know coconut milk can help in controlling weight?!
This can be a good news for people who are trying to reduce weight. Coconut milk makes you feel full very quickly because of high concentrations of dietary fiber.

Source: http://www.drgranny.com/2011/05/05/benefits-of-coconut-milk/
Recipe adapted from: favorite family recipes

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmm! We loved this. Next time I will add the raisins. I don't know why I was so scared. I also want to try my own homemade naan.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...