Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream Sandwich

During this time of year I usually get a huge craving for pumpkin pie. This time around I've been craving pumpkin pie ice cream, so I thought I would make pumpkin pie frozen yogurt since that's what I had on hand and it's healthier! As I was making this, I thought it would be yummy to eat it with a graham cracker and whip cream and this kind of fell in my lap! Okay I know it says ice cream sandwich and it's not really ice cream. I just thought frozen yogurt sandwich sounded a little weird!

Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream Sandwich
Ingredients:
Pumpkin Pie Frozen Yogurt
Healthy graham crackers (no hydrogenated oils)
Healthy whip cream

Pumpkin Pie Frozen Yogurt Recipe
Ingredients:
1 cup Greek yogurt
6 tablespoons pumpkin puree
 6 tablespoons sugar free maple syrup or other sweetener to taste
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice* (or to taste)

Directions:
Combine pumpkin pie frozen yogurt ingredients in a freezer safe bowl and mix well. Set in freezer for about an hour or until it firms up a little bit.
Take frozen yogurt out and scoop some onto each half of a graham cracker.
Top frozen yogurt with whip cream and place the other half of graham cracker on top.
Put sandwiches back in the freezer until desired firmness.
ENJOY!

Here is a yummy variation:
Pumpkin Pie Smore
Just melt some grain sweetened chocolate chips and spread on one side of the graham cracker.

*Don't have pumpkin pie spice?!
1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice= 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ginger, 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/8 teaspoon cloves

Did you know pumpkins have an excellent source of fiber; one-half cup serving contains 5 grams of fiber?! Fiber helps reduce bad cholesterol levels, protect the body against heart disease, control blood sugar levels, promote healthy digestion, and plays a role in weight loss.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...