Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie

This recipe was posted by my sister in law Erin!
This pot pie is delicious! I actually prefer it to traditional pot pies! I found this recipe about a year ago, and it has been part of my family's menu rotation since. I have made a few changes to make it lighter, and more to my family's taste. Feel free to do the same, if you don't like any of the vegetables in this recipe, switch them out with those that you do like! 

Chicken Pot Pie
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil (or your favorite oil, I have also used coconut oil & butter)
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons fat-free reduced sodium chicken broth, divided
2 cups chopped, fresh mushrooms
1 cup diced red bell peppers
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 chopped carrots
1 green onion/ shallot chopped
2 tablespoons flour (I use white, feel free to try it with a different kind, I've never been brave enough!)
1/2 fat free half-and-half
2 cubed cooked chicken breast
1/4 teaspoon dried dill
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 can low fat crescent rolls

1. Prepare your chicken. I like to add garlic powder and pepper to my chicken while I cook it for added flavor. Set aside when cooked through
2. Heat oil and 2 tablespoons chicken broth in a medium saucepan or skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, bell pepper, onion, and carrots. Cook 7-10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently. 
3. Stir in flour; cook 1 minute. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup chicken broth; cook and stir until liquid thickens. reduce heat and stir in half-and-half. Add chicken, green onion, dill, salt and pepper.
4. Preheat oven to 375.  Spray one quart casserole dish with non stick cooking spray. Add chicken mixture into dish, top with unrolled crescent rolls.
5. Bake pie for 20 minutes or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly.
ENJOY! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...